Ode to your Soul

Ode to your Soul
Welcome to my homepage. The image of the picture was captured during my trip to Melbourne in October 2007.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

5 Ways to Save your Car Petrol

Here are some good ways to save petrol :

1) Always plan your route before you set off;

2) Change your driving habit (example do not step too hard or too often on the accelerator);

3) Do not drive with full load of items inside your car. Travel light;

4) Do not drive with full tank of petrol; and

5) Cut down the warm up duration before you set off example from 10 minutes to 5 minutes.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

What's your fuel efficiency like?

My updated fuel efficiency record:
http://www.geocities.com/waynekohweeguan/waynekohviosfc.pdf
http://www.waynekoh.com/2008/08/of-petrol-prices-fuel-efficiency.html

Fuel Consumption
Best 19.21 km/l
Worst 13.72 km/l
Average 16.46 km/l
Longest distance on a tankful: 767.3 km
$/km : $0.097

Some tips on how I achieved my fuel efficiency: -
a) Drive with shoes off; This will provide a better "feel" between the
feet and the paddles and muster better control;. (I have been doing
this since I began driving Mazda 323 1.6A, I did also between 12.5 to 16km/l on Mazda 323 1.6A; I usually change gear, even for auto, about 2,000rpm and drive around 2,000rpm on highways).

b) Drive without air-conditioning at night and anytime when possible
to do so. (I have wind deflectors on my windows, so I don't use air-con on rainy days and at night.

c) Anticipate to decelerate ahead of traffic lights and stopping
points. (Sometime, I have a mental map of the roads, traffic lights
etc, so I can really "plan" when to free gear and let it decelerate
instead of having to brake/engine brake. Braking also causes loss in
energy and waste fuel usage. The longest free gear distance I ever got was 2km at one go!)

See my $/km chart
http://www.waynekoh.com/2008/08/of-petrol-prices-fuel-efficiency.html

In US, I think people call it "hypermile"; i.e stretching every km
possible per litre of petrol.

You should also check out this blog: http://www.petrolwatch.com.sg ;
they publish all the discounts of petrol stations.

Conclusion is: "hybrid" the driver first, before anything else.